Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Circle: Book Report


Kiki at In It's Time hosts a monthly link up called The Circle.  The topic changes each month, which I enjoy.  I like having a new prompt from time to time.  This month was all about books.  Um, I don't read books, I devour them.  Seriously.  I'm enjoying this link up because I'm getting new title ideas for the coming months.

FAVORITE BOOK(S) OF THE YEAR?
I so enjoyed Joel Rosenberg's The Auschwitz Escape.  The general ideas are based on true stories, but the characters are not.  I have studied the Holocaust for years, and I appreciate stories about the Church's role in aiding Holocaust victims.  Joel is a superb author whose characters are always intriguing.  I also re-read all 7 Harry Potter books this summer. I just adore Harry and the gang.  I'm never ready to part with them when book 7 ends.

WHAT BOOK DID YOU JUST FINISH?
Our church now requires When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself for mission trip teams.  I was going to have our team read it anyway before we go to Zambia this summer, so it worked out nicely.  This book has so much truth about how we can accidentally cause more harm than good on mission trips.  If the goal is to fix a problem, it has to be done through introducing people to Jesus and then through lasting solutions to the causes of poverty.  Even if you never leave the country, this book is stock full of ways to help the poor right here at home too.

WHAT ARE YOU READING NEXT?
Davis Bunn has been in my top 5 list of favorite authors for three or four years now.  His story telling is fascinating with enough adventure, mystery, and romance to keep me on edge from page to page.  His newest book, The Patmos Deception, looks to be fabulous.  A Texan in Greece researching where John received the vision for Revelation in the midst of Greece's current economic struggle?  Um, this history and world events nut is already itching to get it!

FAVORITE BOOK(S) AS A KID?
I've loved reading my whole life.  I liked the Little House Series so much, especially since Half Pint and I share a name.  Well illustrated picture books were always a treat.  But I think my parents dumped the most money in my years-long obsession with all things The Baby-Sitters Club. I couldn't get enough of these friends who loved kids and books and school and dance and boys and all the same things I found fascinating in upper elementary school.

WHAT BOOK WOULD YOU TAKE ON A DESERTED ISLAND?
My Bible.  I know that sounds so cliche, but it's true.  Drama, danger, intrigue, betrayal, love...it's all there, beckoning me to draw nearer to my Savior and His master plan with each turn of the page.

What are your favorite books these days? 


In Its Time

6 comments:

Anne said...

There are so many good series for kids...I was into the Little House and Babysitters Club ones too. Also the Boxcar Children! Thanks for sharing/linking :)

Leelee said...

Oh man! I can't believe I forgot about the Little House series. I loved Laura.

The Lady Okie said...

I loved Little House and Babysitter's Club! I haven't heard of any of these other ones, though. I might have to check out the missions one. We're planning on going back to Nicaragua next year to serve there.

Victoria said...

I remember spending a lot of my summers reading The Babysitters Club! I wanted to run a club of my own. :)

amydhodge said...

When Helping Hurts is an amazing book. I really loved it. It had incredible insight!

Kiki said...

When Helping Hurts sounds like a REALLY good read. I've never left the country and served on a missions trip, but I've always wanted to. It definitely sounds like a great read to help prepare (and just in general, too!). :)

And how could I forget about Little House? I never did read the books, but I loved the TV show and I had paper dolls that I adored, too. :)

Thanks for linking up! My purpose for The Circle was to not only connect bloggers but also have different and interesting topics, too. It means a lot that you enjoy that part of the link-up as much as I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...