Thursday, July 12, 2012

TAHG Day 5

Don't ask me to tell you what day it is.  My brain is one long train of history that is completely out of order, fantastic visits with fascinating people, awe at what my Daddy God has created, wondering how the heck America has survived this long without our founding fathers still here, and laughter and jokes that have had me laughing so hard I think I might have a cracked rib.  No lie. 

Someone asked me today to explain this trip.  I told them to think about a college trip where everyone is really smart and has huge personalities all at once.  The fun rolls, the jokes are endless, and the discussions are intense.  And don't forget the family factor that quickly comes into play on a trip like that as well.  It's sibling rivalry to the extreme with lots of care taking in between.  Not fraternization because most of us here love Jesus and our spouses (good grief...the questions people will ask), but genuine care and concern like one huge family of siblings and cousins.  And yet, today, just because I took a picture with a sweet black sheep, I've been called the black sheep of the group.  Ha, funny Michael.  Natashia does my braids in the mornings, Sandy makes sure I don't forget things, Ed makes sure I hear my name pronounced correctly at least once a day, Scott ensures I get at least one photo with the stuffed cardinal for the kids each day, Kim makes sure I sleep at night, Luis is my personal photographer, Sara pushes me to try new things and talk to new people, and Derek is my Aggie Corps buddy that loves that fact that Bailey has been in Reveille's dorm room and shared her water bowl.   And then Katy.  Oh, Katy makes sure I will come home with a full set of cracked ribs from laughter and a strong desire to never hear the words 'battery' or 'salt peter' (potassium nitrate) ever again (look up that scene from 1776-it's incredibly disturbing).  And then, throw all 34 of us on a bus with a movie such as "Night at the Smithsonian", and we are in a very happy place.  The jokes history teachers can make at the movie are endless and utterly delightful.  Yes, feel free to begin calling me a dork.  I accepted the fact long ago.

This morning was rough.  We woke up at Montpelier, and I just wanted to go watch Stuart train horses, but I had to go to our workshop.  It was supposed to be about James Madison and how he's known as the Father of the American Constitution.  That sounds like an amazing topic to me, but our present was horribly dry with no teaching aides, so I was lost after the first 15 minutes.  She was brilliant, but I think it'd been a while since she taught to teachers.  We need things that expand our knowledge that can also be replicated in our classrooms.  Oh well.  We drove down the mountain and headed to Mount Vernon. 

Before I get to Mount Vernon, Montpelier is always going to be special to me.  Very few people have the privilege of spending the night on the grounds, and to have the liberty to explore the whole farm, run up and down the same hills the Madison children did to catch fire flies (yep, caught one, watch him glow, and off he flew), sing (yes sing) back and forth from one cabin to the next in the dark, peek back at the few stars popping out between the clouds...this is all an experience I won't forget.  Pure, unadulterated joy. 

Mount Vernon.  Ah.  Beautiful.  CLYDESDALES!  More hills, but this one overlooks the Potomac River.  Um, I want to be Martha Washington's children growing up at Mount Vernon with the Potomac River in my back yard.  Nearly 600 guests would simply drop by Mount Vernon to meet the most esteemed man on the continent.  I don't know how they ever sought privacy, but they managed.  The home is beautiful, and while the features aren't as elaborate at Thomas Jefferson's at Monticello, GW managed to do quiet well for himself in regards to inventions.
Shore of the Potomac
Cody and I petting Georgie's sheep.  Michael then dubbed us the black sheep.  Ha.  Not.


Women (me and Sandy) guiding with the men (Michael and Cody) pulling.  It's a plow.

GW's farm

The farm overlooks the Potomac.
Sitting on Georgie's porch, catching the breeze, and watching the Potomac.  Amazing.


That face screams "Sassy Pants".  Little did they know that a few short minutes later I'd be the only lady not to scream at the live snake who decided to join us.

We ate dinner at the end, supposedly eating time period dishes.  It was all delightful, and now we're back in Alexandria, able to spread out and relax a bit while we're here.  Yay!
That hair is getting long...where are my scissors?!?  Oh my, I had really paid attention until tonight. 

One final thought.  I've learned about George Washington, James Madison, and Thomas Jefferson the past two days.  Three men who dearly love our nation, but who also put great pride into their families.  Dolly and James were married for ages and their letters and eye witness accounts speak of a blissful couple.  Thomas had no affairs document, but if so, then it was after Abigail had already died.  And sweet George knew how to woo and love Martha like everyone dreams.  I wonder if our current leaders have taken stock of their family priorities lately.  I tell ya, I would be swoon for a man like George any day!

1 comment:

The Henry Family said...

Beautiful!!! I wish I was with you!!!!! Glad you are having a blast. We will have to meet once you are back and I can walk so you can tell me more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...