Monday, July 23, 2012

TAHG Day 16

It was a little painful getting back on a schedule this morning to head to Quincy, MA.  As we rolled out of Boston, many of us called out, "So long, Boston!  We love you!"  I'm so, so, so glad this was how we ended the trip.

Quincy, MA is home to John Adams and his son John Quincy Adams.  We toured the two homes where each man was born.  It's a bit odd to stand in a home built nearly 400 years ago.  Across town is the presidential retirement home of John and Abigail.  It doesn't have the stature and grandeur of Montpelier, Monticello, and Mount Vernon, but it's still beautiful.  I was fond of the separate library that John had built just for his personal collection.  I'd kill for a 12,000 volume library of my very own.  Sheesh.  What made me laugh the hardest is that there is a bust of the Marquis de Layfeyette at the Adams' home.  This dude got around, and he left busts of himself everywhere he went.  I think we saw a bust in nearly every home we toured the past 16 days.  Seriously?!  Who does that?  What a hostess gift. "Thank you for being such an excellent hostess.  The meals were delicious and the bed comfortable.  As a token of my appreciation, place this bust of me on your mantlepiece." 
John Adams' family home.

John Adams' retirement home.


Now it's off to the airport and my own bed...about midnight, but that's ok.  I am so thankful God allowed me to participate in this phenomenal adventure of a business trip.  The lack of sleep and torn up feet are well worth every second of all I experienced. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...