Wednesday, July 18, 2012

TAHG Day 11


The Center for the Constitution in Philadelphia is an incredible museum that easily teaches the principles of the Constitution to students and adults alike.  I wish all students could visit it; maybe more of them would grow up and become educated voters instead of being apathetic or impassive to the happenings of our government.  The interactive centers, games, videos, and exhibits clearly tell how the Constitution has remained an important part of American history. After all, "we the people" include me...and you.
Signing a copy of the Constitution

With the signers.
I walked through the most historic room in the most historic building in the most historic park in the most historic square mile in the most historic city in America.  Being in Independence Hall was an incredible experience.  I stood in the room where the Declaration of Independence and later the Constitution were signed.  What history!  This is the stuff of legends and lore. *Dramatic pause for effect.*  Our guide was a hoot, telling the group of teachers to get out since we knew everything (not!) and keeping us in stitches when no one would claim to be from Rhode Island.  He said it’s been 225 years later and they still haven’t shown up.  I find that just hilarious.  Our guide had played John Adams in the History Channel version of the signing of the Constitution, so he knew how to draw in the crowd.
Independence Hall




We peeked in at the Liberty Bell, but the line was over two hours long.  At least I saw it even if admiration was a bit out of reach.
Someone had the bright idea of splitting us up in teams for a scavenger hunt of historical Philly.  It should have been a blast and something like National Treasure but incredibly more historically accurate.  However, today was the hottest day of the trip with temperatures reaching a scorching 101 degrees.  No amount of sunscreen was beneficial at this point.  I thought I was going to have to get taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion.  No joke.  Yet, if you know me, I’m not a quitter, so we plotted that map and made a dash.  I saw the oldest surviving residential street in America, Betsy Ross’s home, Ben Franklin’s home, William Penn’s Quaker Church, and several other historical sites that would have been fascinating to explore on a cooler day with leisure time. And, don't worry about me.  After the dash to the text the last photo, we found AC, water, and powerade.  Life was good again, if not a little salty.  

The bus ride from Philly to Mystic, CT was supposed to take us 4 ½ hours.  As I type, it’s 9:30 and we left at 4:00.  We still have at least an hour more to drive.  We hit wind and thunder storms, traffic that makes Houston and Dallas look like a Sunday drive, and a little run in with the law all before dinner.  Apparently we were driving too slow in the fast lane…?  Needless to say, boredom set in by 7:00.  I was personally dreaming of a cabin in the woods on the top of a snow covered mountain in Colorado to attempt to at least mentally cool off when darling Katy struck up a vigorous rendition of “Let It Snow”.  That just led to a parcel of other Christmas Carols and uncontrollable laughter.  For two solid hours we sang through show tunes, every TV show theme song we could remember from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, Willy, Johnny, Waylon, Garth, Corey Morrow, the Eagles, Aretha, and more.  Eclectic much?  While we sang, Ed, Michael, Paula, and I played a game from up north called euchere.  It’s played only using half a deck of cards which makes Dave, Paula’s husband claim it was created during a snow storm when half the deck was left in the privy.  Have I mentioned how much we all detest Paula and Dave because they get to be on the trip together?  Lucky married teacher couples.  I digress.  Anyway, we laughed so hard that I think I cracked any remaining ribs that were still solid. I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Oh, and I have I mentioned how not only do I admire the guys on this trip for their plethora of historical knowledge and athletic ability (we don't hire dumb coaches in CCISD), but they light up the sky when they mention their wives.  They call and their whole body language and tone changes.  These men have no shame in being passionate about their wives, and it's a beautiful thing.  Considering how madly in love the founding fathers were with their wives, I think more guys should jump on board.  It's one part of history that would be a treasure to repeat.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...