Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Iron Lady-Review


While packing for the grant trip today, I treated myself to The Iron Lady.  Between my bent for all things Britain, my love of history, and my admiration of Meryl Streep's acting abilities, I was very impressed with the film.  It was clean, supported family values even when the going gets tough, and told a fabulous story of a woman I believe is a phenomenal inspiration.  I grew up not knowing much about Margaret Thatcher.  She was in office while I was quite small (I was five when she resigned), and the first person I remember being aware of as prime minister in Britain is Tony Blair.  Don't ask me why I don't remember John Major, but I don't.  All I really remember from childhood and Margaret Thatcher is her roll in helping President Reagan negotiate the end of the Cold War. Regardless, I now want to read Margaret Thatcher's autobiography Downing Street Years.  The film's script writer(s) did a great job of displaying both her ability to laugh and enjoy the moment and her insatiable desire to do something great for others at any cost.  What a legacy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...