Saturday, July 21, 2012

TAHG Day 14


While in Boston, we’re on our own.  No workshops to hold us to the clock, no tours-we just can’t be in the hotel during the day.  Um, why would anyone want to be?!  The grant paid for trolley passes, but I think we used it for about 20 minutes of a 12 hour day.  I love walking Boston.  It’s easy, mostly safe, and absolutely gorgeous.  The sun was out full steam, but I don’t think the temperatures ever reached 80.  We began in Boston Commons, one of my favorite parks.  It’s famous for the ducks and the swan boat tours.  The beauty of nature in that park is nearly overwhelming.
Boston Public Gardens in Boston Commons


We walked the Freedom Trail most of the day, going past Paul Revere’s tomb, Old City Hall, Old South Church, Old South Meeting House, the sight of the Boston Massacre of 1770, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  I love the restaurants and shops around Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  I know they are incredibly touristy, but to me, they make Boston because they are centered round so much history.  I got my mom the souvenirs she wants, and then we walked around the Boston Tea Party section of Boston Harbor.  The harbor is so pretty.  The trolley tickets include harbor tours via boat, so we made sure we caught one of those.  I enjoyed sitting on the top deck and watching small sail boats race.  We saw most of the neighborhoods from the mini-cruise.  I think we might go back to the shipyards tomorrow to tour the USS Constitution.
Harbor cruise
 The evening was spent on the North Side (Little Italy).  We toured Old North Church where Paul Revere hung the lanterns to warn of the coming Red Coats.  We also walked past Revere’s home and strolled through the Italian streets.  A little restaurant called L’Ostria caught our eye, so we stopped there for dinner.  I had lobster ravioli tonight.  Then we went to the famous Mike’s Pastry Shop for cannolis.  Apparently carrying a Mike’s Pastry box around Boston is the equivalent of being a rock star because we got all kinds of attention.  My choice was chocolate mousse, and it was delightful.  We ate them in a park near Faneuil Hall, watching two little boys no older than 5 play baseball.  Such a hoot!

Paul Revere's statue outside the Old North Church
 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...