Sunday, July 29, 2012

Little Girl Adventures Day 3

The day began early so we could make it to church by 8:50 for Isaac to warm up for orchestra.  Piece of cake!  The girls have no problem reading books to themselves while I get things done (like getting ready).  Our Sunday School classes (the adult one we're in and the youth one we teach) are on hiatus for a few more weeks, so we just had worship today.  The girls wanted to go to Sunday School, but they enjoyed hearing the orchestra practice this morning.  They were in awe of all the instruments.  I wish the Houston Symphony was doing one of their touch and feel sessions this week with all the instruments out for kids to experience!

When it was time for class, both girls were welcomed with open arms.  I flat out adore my church.  Tina was welcomed by Mrs. Chris, who I've known for ages, and sweet little Erin was in her class, ready to take her hand and go talk about all things girl.  Joelle was met by three amazing ladies I've known for awhile, Mrs. Abby, Mrs. Meredith, and Mrs. Jennifer, ready to scoop her up with hugs.  Joelle had a bit of a rough start, and was super glad to see me when I came to get her, but over lunch both girls could tell me the story about the men who took their sick friend to see Jesus through a hole in a roof.  They said this meant we are to help others like Jesus helped others.  Awesome!  Thank you, fabulous UBC teachers!  I loved knowing that I could sing in choir and worship after a month away and that the girls were being filled with sound biblical teaching.  Oh, how I needed that worship this morning.  I would fall apart without the amazing people that surround me day in and day out at UBC.  Thank You, Jesus!

These girls were troopers eating whatever I gave them yesterday and today since I haven't really been home until now to do any serious grocery shopping or meal planning.  I had tons of healthy, yummy food, but at times, it was a bit random.  Regardless, tortilla chips are never out of style, and are a hit with these two nieces.  Joelle quickly discovered that Aggie Belle will gladly share a chip with her.  I looked over from my chair to see a chubby little hand reach down to offer Aggie Belle a chip.  I assumed Aggie Belle would eat it whole, but she nibbled of a bit, and Joelle happily ate a bite.  This went on for two or three chips before I finally pulled the plug.  Adorable doesn't even begin to describe that.



After lunch, we made a much needed trip to Sam's and Walmart.  The girls were fabulous about respecting my 'no' when they asked for something they didn't need.  No worries, we did get coloring books and new earrings, so I'm not a total scrooge!  Tina loves to find any thing that's on the list and put it in the cart, and Joelle is happy playing peek-a-boo all day long.

Joelle will be three late in August.  However, she is already the ultimate back seat driver.  At every intersection, I heard "STOP!" if the light was yellow or red or "GO!" if the light was green.  This payback is so much sweeter than the incredibly bossy back seat driver I was as a kid.  My poor dad couldn't do anything right.

I made the mistake of agreeing to make cookies with the girls this afternoon.  Snickerdoodles are insanely addictive and plum delightful.  Darn cinnamon.  Tina did an excellent job of measuring ingredients, and Joelle can use the mixer with a little support.  The cookies are amazing, and I doubt they'll last past tomorrow night.



Our pool was reserved for a birthday party this evening, but we were still able to slip in about 40 minutes of swimming before hand.  Joelle is a brave little fish, and Tina is doing a great job of  overcoming her fears. Tina learned how to spider crawl down the wall, and we worked together kicking from holding the side and a kickboard.  I like watching her confidence grow just in a short period of time.



Tina request CPK pizza for dinner, and I wasn't about to turn down that one.  On our evening walk with Aggie Belle, our neighbor Ricky and his mom Barb found us and invited us over to play with Aggie Belle's best friend Queseay.  I think that spelling is correct.  Queseay is also a rescue, and the girls are about the same age.  The are attached at the hip any time they are let out together.  We let them run in the backyard while we visited.  Ricky got ice cream for the girls-instant best friends.  After about 30 minutes, both dogs looked like they were in serious need of IV fluids from all the panting and slobber.  It's just so entertaining watching them wrestling and playing.  

Soon it was bath time, and I needed one nearly as badly as they did with the sweat and chlorine.  Before I could get anyone started though, Tina had a melt down.  I had them call home before baths, and she was fine and super excited on the phone, but then reality it, and the tear began a falling.  So, we rocked and cuddled and hugged and kissed and talked and prayed together, exactly what every person facing tough choices needs, so take note.  :)  I switched the conversation over to the zoo, and my happy girl was back.  Keep in mind that while of this was happening, Joelle was also in the bathroom, twirling away to some soundtrack in her head.  Love it!

By now, I had tears and snot added to the reasons why I needed a shower, so I set up the girls on our bed to watch 20 minutes of the Lalaloopsy movie so I could shower in peace.  When I got out of the shower, I found this:

At 8:45, I moved my trio upstairs for books and prayers.  Aggie Belle stayed right on our feet.  I had promised to hang out in the game room right by their room until they fell asleep.  Joelle fell apart crying as soon as I sat down.  Monkey see, monkey do, just in her own timing.  I had already taken part of an Ambien to help myself sleep tonight-I won't be doing that again this week til I know the girls are out cold.  Ugh, and only because my normally sluggish creative juices turn to rubber cement.  It's lovely.  I managed to think quick tonight and grabbed a box of markers and construction paper and hopped in bed with them.  Each day was given a different color by the girls, and we wrote out everything they had already said they wanted to do.  They know fun things are coming, but not when.  They do know the days of the week, so this should help immensely as it serves as a visual distraction.  We talked about how it's ok to be scared and sad, but that God is always with us.  Tina said she could feel His tight hugs.  Thank You, Lord, for caring for her precious little heart in a really rough time right now!  After two more hugs and kisses, I left, and now I'm typing and they are sound a sleep.  Zoo day tomorrow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...