Monday, July 30, 2012

Little Girl Adventures Day 4

ZOO DAY!  Thank you Houston Zoo for planting loads of trees for plenty of shade and ensuring that there are several buildings with AC spread throughout the property.  Your thoughtfulness saved my sanity today.

We arrived at nine, just as the gates opened to make most of what 'cool' Houston had to offer today.  We headed straight for the Children's Zoo to pet goats, but were side tracked by the zoo's newest resident, this sweet little giraffe.  He has yet to be named, but that didn't matter.  He was right at the window, showing off for all the world to see.  Mama Tyra is so adoring.  I'm pretty sure this little guy's daddy was Kiva, the giraffe that passed a way a few months ago, Mtembi is doing a fabulous job of being a surrogate daddy.  We watched Neema grooming Tyra while the poor baby tried not to get trampled.  The newest non-giraffe addition to the hoofed barn is one lone zebra.  I never could find a keeper to ask about it, but I'm sure there's a great story there.  Tina and Joelle thought this was super cool, especially when I told them ostriches, giraffes, and zebras all live in the same places in Zambia.  The giraffes are Joelle's favorite, just like me.  It was hard to leave the barn!
Neema, Tyra, and baby


You don't look like me, but come play!

Peek-a-boo!



Eventually we made it to the Children's Zoo and had a great time climbing, sliding, and crawling our way through deer, bald eagles, bats, otters, pigs, geese, ducks, and cows.  We finally did make it to the goats where the girls had a fabulous time brushing their fur.  A few comments might have also been made about the girth of a few of those billy goats.  My, my!



The elephant barn for elephant baths was next on the list.  The girls squealed to see Max the terrier mix dog in the barn with the elephants.  Tupelo and Tess were still getting their baths, and the girls were utterly delighted to learn they aren't the only ones who must be bathed daily.  Baylor, Shanti, and Me-Thai were already out in the sun, making it easy to give the girls a lesson in Elephant Sunscreen Application. 
You want to see my feet?  Hand over that slice of bread! Tupelo and Tess

Shanti and Baylor

Me-Thai

After a break for our picnic lunch, we headed to the aquarium and the natural encounters building for some extra AC.  Then it was off to the Africa Forest where we explored Pygmy huts, masks, drums, chimps, rhinos, and the giraffes again.  The kudu were hiding in the barn which makes me sad.  I like seeing that little kudu family after my experience with Matches two years ago.
 





Tina's favorite animal is a cheetah, and thankfully one of the pair was out in the open.  They are one of the most reclusive animals at our zoo, but today must have been a social day.  I had a happy little girl on my hands.  Then we went down in the tunnel and found one of the lionesses chilling on the plexiglass.  What a treat to be so close!  Jonathan was also snoozing where we could find him easily.  The two sun bears were also out, one scratching his feet and the other being lazy in his pool.  Our last stop was to see Baby Aurora and adopted mom Cheyene in the orangutan exhibit.   They are precious!


I had told the girls we'd ride the train if they wanted on our way out, and they wanted!  I selfishly suggested it since I haven't been on the train since the track was extended.  It's such a pretty ride!  The only down side to our time at the zoo is always the reminders of being in the middle of the Houston Med Center.  Life flight is nearly constant.  Tina was super impressed with how many hospitals were around, but even she knew what the helicopters meant and made mention every time we saw one. 


We went swimming after the girls had a pick-me-up nap in the truck on the way home.  Tina spider crawled the whole pool without me today.  Yay!  Joelle blew bubbles underwater.  Progress!  After dinner, we walked Aggie Belle, and Tina walked her all by herself over half the way.  So precious.  I didn't have the phone or camera with me, but maybe tomorrow.  Aggie Belle minded Tina so well, with just a bit of input from me.  I'm so proud of them both.  Oh, and Joelle walked tonight instead of riding in her stroller.

Tina has been asking to meet an astronaut since we drive past NASA daily.  I try not to exploit those we know, so I hadn't said much, but tonight our friends the Tanners invited us for a snow cone date, and I let it slip that Megan's granddaddy is an astronaut.  Tina became really excited, but then acted like she knew nothing when we arrived.  I'm proud of her for reigning in the famous dogma because gracious knows she's at the age where nothing sounds better than to be famous.  We did have a great time with the Tanners, and all three girls hit it off, eating and drawing on the chalk wall. 
Chalk and snow cone covered girls!

Aggie Belle will not let the girls out of site.  Such a little momma.  Poor Joelle's mouth is right at Aggie Belle's nose's height, so all kinds of fun keeps happening.  My pup makes sure I brush Joelle's teeth thoroughly, get her rear cleaned properly, and her face wiped sufficiently.  Joelle is being a trooper about it and is even going up to rub that big tummy all by herself.  Tonight, Aggie Belle made it in bed for stories and prayers before the rest of us.  I'm in love.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...