Sunday, July 22, 2012

TAHG Day 15


Day 2 in Boston was even better than day one.  We began the morning once again in Boston Public Gardens/Boston Commons to enjoy the beauty, the swan boats, and the Make Way for Ducklings statue.  And yes, there are photos of me waddling like a duck with Mama Mallard and her ducklings.  Middle school teachers know no shame.


 The guys gave me the ‘cool card’ today, so I got to hang out with them, which meant a day full of really awesome sightseeing.  We began at the Boston Tea Party Museum, which has only been open about 3 weeks.  Yes, it costs $25 to get in, but it was worth every penny.  The tour begins in a town hall meeting (Faneuil Hall or Old South Meeting Hall-take your pick as they occurred in both), learning when it’s appropriate to yell “Huzzah” or “Fie” and making an incredibly loud raucous.  Four middle school teachers can make a huge scene on our own accord, but thankfully the rest of the crowd was into the reenactment as well.  We were each assigned rolls of real people who partook in the original Boston Tea Party, and our little group was specifically given the roles of various members of the press that attended since we all had our cameras out and at the ready.  Hey, if we can’t take our kids to this stuff, we have to bring it to our kids.  Don’t judge-they thought we were cool because we got really into it.  Ha.  We then boarded His Majesty’s trading ship the Beaver, well disguised as Mohawk Indians with feathers in our hair mind you, to break the lock off the hold, haul up the cargo of tea, and toss it overboard.  Huzzah!  We had to make escape before dawn, so we listened to two holograms (they look incredibly real) discuss the nuances of being loyal to the king versus the patriots.  Good times.  Then we saw one of the two remaining crates that held tea from 1773 and watched two oil paintings come to life, much like in Harry Potter.  One of the king’s men and Sam Adams really chewed on each other for a bit!  The next portion was a film depicting Paul Revere’s ride and the shot heard round the world, complete with rumbling floors from musket fire and quick whips of wind as the shots barreled past.   Our tour ended in Abigail’s (after Mrs. Adams) Tea Room where we were all served cups of hot or cold black or strawberry tea.  Yum!


My one request of the guys was to eat lunch at Union Oyster House.  We met up with Katy and Sandy to enjoy copious amounts of the most amazing clam chowder.  I had been waiting 9 ½ years for this treat again!  Our table was caddy corner to the booth John F. Kennedy always used when he would come to the restaurant.  If that’s not enough history, then it’s also the oldest remaining restaurant in Boston, and a favorite of my mom’s.  Delightful and delicious.  I made googly eyes at the lobsters in the tank just because I could.  J

The USS Constitution in one of the few remaining wooden active navy sailing ships in the world.  Today marked the anniversary of her first sail in 1798, and I was able to tour her today.  National Parks Services runs the site, but the Navy oversees it as well, so all of the tour guides aren’t park rangers but are active duty sailors.  Jason was our guide, and he said he has loved being assigned in Boston to meet people and share the Constitution’s story, but he’s starting to miss the big gray hull.  I bet, but the Constitution is a real beauty.  I’ve been falling off my pirate kick for a while, but after being on a few true sailing vessels this trip, I’ve begun missing the feel of sailing on a big ship.  Blame Captains Bruce and Jeff and the Summer of ’03.  Anyway, I can’t imagine 400-500 men on this ship just to be able to operate all the cannons on board.  Yet, that’s what it took to fend off the British and keep America from reverting back to a colony.  Huzzah!

The walk to Beacon Hill is pretty, but please no one tell me how much those homes costs.  It would ruin my day.  I think it’s hilarious that America built a monument to a battle that we lost to the British, but in a way, it’s fitting.  We lost the battle, but American lives were lost fighting for liberty.  Liberty always deserves recognition.

Dinner was at the one and only Cheers tonight.  We were celebrating a birthday tonight.  Yes, Cheers is worth all the hype.  I remember watching bits and pieces with my parents before bed as a little girl.  I think it’s time to get the seasons on DVD and catch up on what everyone else has been saying.  Oops.  It’s not always fun to be the third youngest out of 34.  Cheers was a great place to spend our final evening in Boston, talking and eating with amazing people that I am privileged enough with which to work.  The walk home through Boston Public Garden was incredible.  I loved watching families laughing and playing together without technology.  What an innovative concept.  

It’s hard to admit, but there’s an ever growing part of me ready to be home.  I love the travel and adventure and adrenaline high, but it’s time.  One more long day of work, and then I’ll be home for a super late bedtime.  My king size bed with one puppy under my left arm and the other on my feet or head (her choice, as usual) will be a treat!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...