Sunday, January 6, 2013

Resolutions of a Different Nature


I don't typically make New Year's resolutions.  I've never really understood the point.  It is sometimes fun to watch other people make them and then see if they keep or break them.   With the creation of Facebook, it's been rather entertaining to see what other people think is important to change.  This year, I've gotten a little fed up with the obsessive resolutions about physical image bombarding my newsfeed.  All the talk about being so concerned about a number on the scale or the number on the tag of clothing gets old fast. Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for being healthy and even dropping a few pounds myself, but I can't help but wonder if some (not all) of that energy is aimed in the wrong direction.

My memory verse in my quiet time early this morning was John 21:22.  The end of that verse says this, "You must follow Me."   That's our call as Christians.  That's it.  Period.  Following Christ.  Oh, sure, He wants us to be at our best, so we can do our best for Him, no doubt, and that include physical health.  However, what if our commitments, our resolutions, were not about obtaining some physical goal, but were aimed at spiritual fitness?  What if we spent an equal amount of time exercising spiritually that many people do physically?  What if we made spiritual changes that made life-altering changes as we sought after Christ with all that we are?  What would happen to us as individuals, to our families, our communities, our nation, our world? 

My guess is that we'd be full of more kindness, less judgmental, more open with our time and resources, and more content with ourselves because the Holy Spirit would be directing our steps.  Maybe we'd all see a new path to take to glorify God, doing something for Him we hadn't thought of before.

So, in 2013, I am making a resolution.  I want the Holy Spirit to so fill me that I grow, even when it hurts.  That means more time on the spiritual scale (Bible) than the one in my bathroom.  I think I'll be ok with that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...