Monday, December 13, 2010

Santa Boycott

I'm beyond done with Santa.  The whole concept disgusts me.  I just don't see how parents knowingly lie to their children.  Why do they do that?!?!  The Bible again and again addresses speaking falsehoods (Psalm 52:3, Ephesians 4:25, 1 John 4:6 to name a few), and yet Christian parents do it every year, helping their children also sin by believing in a lie.  I don't get it. 

Sure, talk about the real Saint Nicholas and how he is the inspiration for gift giving during the holidays, but don't fill something that is supposed to be focused on Christ with lies about a fat old man.  The injustice of what we're doing to children just makes me sick.  We keep talking about how America is falling apart, but let's fix our families first. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is frustrating when parents elevate the status of Santa above Jesus. When children get more excited about Santa coming than celebrating the birth of Christ, that’s sad too. I didn’t grow up with a super Santa focused Christmas, and I’m thankful for that. I think some families use Santa to coax good behavior out of children, but I doubt that is actually effective for long. Maybe an opportunity to tell someone about what Christmas is actually celebrating will arise. The commercialization of this season is quite distracting and it’s easy to get caught up in it. So hopefully as Christians we can proclaim the truth about Christmas.
Merry Christmas!!

Laura said...

You said it perfectly, Christi! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...