Thursday, July 1, 2010

Zambia: Days 1-3

What a week! I hit the ground running, just like I knew would happen. Uncle G was at the airport waiting for me and was so excited to show his country to me. He loved hearing the story about how I ended up here.

As soon as I got to HOM, the entire staff was present for Monday morning devotions. On Mondays, the house moms from the older orphanages were present, along with all the staff on the business end, who work here in the office at HOM. Within an hour and a half of being on the ground in Zambia, I was already singing and dancing in praise and worship. Um, hello! It was perfect!

In the older nursery, which is downstairs, are all the babies who can crawl and walk. Upstairs are the teeny tinys. When you don't want to be mobbed by 3 or 4 older ones, it's nice to go upstairs and cuddle just one.

For lunch on Monday, Jane and Don, who are good friends of Sandra's and staying here 6 months, took me to Arcades to meet up with the group from Georgia/South Carolina. We also got my Zambian cell phone working and exchanged some cash.

In the afternoon, I had a great time getting to know the babies and the staff.

Tuesday morning after the G/SC team left for Victoria Falls, I got to visit Bill and Bette House, which cares for 2-4 year olds. It was lunch time, so I didn't get to see their preschool work, but the kids loved playing with my blonde hair. I never dreamed kids who are so used to visitors would go so nuts over my blonde locks. It really was hilarious!

By the afternoon, it was obvious one of the older girls (maybe 15 months old) had decided I was her new best friend. For the blog, I'll call her Loulou because that's the tag I keep adding to her first name. Loulou has a twin who's nickname is Aggie. Loulou is just precious, but talk about an absolute royal fit when I leave the room. I finally took her to the dinning room with me to journal write for an hour or so just to keep the screaming from filling the entire house.

Wednesday was exciting as I finally got to go to Chifundo and see the school where my brothers went. Kalingalinga is full of beautiful people, and I enjoyed getting a tour of many parts. At Chifundo, I taught a lesson on international trade (Three G's and Silk Road) to the 9th graders and just got to have a great chat with the 12th graders. I get to go back next Thursday to set up the overhead projector I brought with me and show them some of the rest of the materials I brought. I also got to meet our friend Given's family and a new friend named Chembo, who is a grad of Chifundo and the University of Zambia and just a doll.

After my return to HOM from Kalingalinga, I went to the downstairs nursery to see Miss Loulou. Turns out, Aggie and their best friend Dd (again, a nickname given by me) decided to attach themselves to me too. Anybody want three ADORABLE ~15 month olds who desperately need to stay together? :)

I've gotten to know two of the house staff really well the past 3 days. Mama Irene is the house mother at HOM, and she's amazing. The passion she has for Jesus and these little babies rocks me to the core. My great-great grandmother was Mama Irene, and now I have a Zambian Mama Irene too. Oh, the hugs I get from this lady! Ruth is my precious new friend who cooks for all of us, and I love to sit in the kitchen with a baby and listen to Ruth talk while she works. She's a soft spoken jewel that fills me with joy just to be near.

It's Thursday morning now, so I'm going to get the day started with some cuddles and this afternoon I get to go to House of Martha to see the 5-12 year olds. I have a huge delivery of supplies I brought with me, so I'm excited to take them. :)

1 comment:

Shelley said...

WOW! What a powerful trip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...