Tuesday, December 3, 2013

25 Days of Christmas Carols: Away in a Manger

The Ozinga Outlook
I love Christmas music.  Old, new, it doesn't matter.  Growing up in kid choir at church meant we learned the stories behind the carols we sang.  I remember so many of these stories and have fact checked many of them over the years with the invention of the internet.  :)  Check back each day for a new carol and story!  I'll be including a video of one of my favorite versions of the carol as well.  Grab the button and share the fun with your friends! 

December 3rd: Away in a Manger

This carol is always a favorite of children's choirs.  I think there's something special about little kiddos singing to Baby Jesus.  The sweet requests for Jesus to be with them always are just heart warming (if not a little sappy the 10th time in a row of hearing it).

The first two verses are often claimed to be written by Martin Luther, though no one knows for sure.  The hymn first appeared in a Lutheran Sunday School book in 1885, and the 3rd verse was added in 1904 by John T. McFarland.  It quickly became a Christmas standard.



Away in a manger,
No crib for His bed
The little Lord Jesus
Laid down His sweet head

The stars in the bright sky
Looked down where He lay
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing
The poor Baby wakes
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes

I love Thee, Lord Jesus
Look down from the sky
And stay by my side,
'Til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray

Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there


In case you've missed any previous carols:



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...