Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Whale of a Tale

Yesterday we took Isaac's parents deep sea fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.  Isaac has used Capt. Paul 3 times now, and really likes him.  He reminds me a bit of Capt. Bruce from my Bahamas trip, but with more clothing.  That's another story for another time though...



Capt. Paul doesn't waste time.  If the fish aren't biting in a spot, off we go to the next.  In our first spot, I caught 30ish" sharks in about 10 minutes.  At our other spots, I caught more red snapper than I could count.  Unfortunately, it's not red snapper season, so they all had to get thrown back.  I had really wanted to catch some mahi mahi, but they weren't to be found yesterday.  And, in case you were wondering, yes, I baited my own hooks.  Yes, I reeled in my own catches.  I didn't take them off the hooks though because Cody, the first mate, did that for us.  He had to feel useful somehow I guess!




I told Isaac that we need to start doing this a couple times a year.  It's been way too long since I've been on a small craft vessel far enough out that land was absolutely no where to be seen.  It doesn't take more than a couple of miles before the water in the Gulf turns deep azul, and it's stunning.  I was the only one in our group not to get sea sick, and I sat near the stern on our way out and back in, reading my Kindle, and watching in awe of God's handiwork.  Ten years is much too long to be one with the sea again.  My momma raised me right, and while ranch life and mountains drag me from the sea more often than I want to admit, the sea is home.  I was in the ocean before I could crawl, and my fascination with all that is the blue abyss has never dissipated.  Worship songs and hymns were on my lips as we motored out to oil derricks and old ship wrecks for fishing.  The rock of the waves is incredibly soothing to me, and the little bit of chop on Monday was just perfect.  I think I stared at the water more than I read, but that's ok.  I saw 4 different pods of dolphins and 3 sea turtles for my sea gazing efforts.  Such precious treats from the Lord! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...