Saturday, August 3, 2013

UBC's Walden Garden


UBC has a garden that various groups in the church help maintain.  I know I've mentioned it in various posts before.  All that we grow is sent to the food pantry down the street from our church.  It's an awesome way to get to know people in the church, be outside, and be the hands and feet of Jesus to our community.  I've worked in it off and on for three years.  KJOY always spends a day out there, and our intermediate school Sunday School class are getting us more and more involved.
 
Work day back in April
I bonded with my ancestors today, and not in some funky call of the dead kind of way. Today was an all call work day to prep the beds for fall planting.  About ten of us worked for 3 hours to rake, pull weeds, pull dried bean stalks off the trellis, spread manure, move trellises, harvest ripe veggies, plow, and plant.  I come from a long line of farmers on both sides of my family, and I now much more fully appreciate what it took for them to make a living.  Yes, I've worked on a ranch before, but working animals and working land are two totally different ball games.  Wowsers.  I ache like the dickens right now, but I really, really enjoyed all we did.  It was a privilege to pray over the beds and the picked produce.  I'm hoping to convince our teens to adopt a bed so we have an excuse to be out in the garden much more often in the future. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...