Monday, September 3, 2012

My Heart, Christ's Home


Two weeks ago, our Sunday School teacher wanted us each to read a little booklet entitle My Heart, Christ's Home by Robert Munger.  I was about three sentences into it when I realized that our youth minister (oh, Jerry Ball, how I miss your tutelage and discipleship!) went through this with us years ago.  As a teenager, the analogies meant something to me, but it meant so much more 10~ish years later.

This little booklet (click the link and go read it.  It's totally worth 15 minutes of your time) compares the heart, where Christ has promised to live in each person who accepts Him, to the various rooms of a house.  The best part is that Mr. Munger uses plenty of Scripture to back up what he writes.  That's always important.  I find myself taking inventory of what I'm doing much more often now that I've reread these words.  I like a challenge.

When we sat down as a class last Sunday to discuss how this book challenged each of us, I was thrown all in a tizzy by one classmate's comment.  It was said by one that "it's just not me" when we were talking about daily quiet times.  The person said that music is the means that this one best relates to God, so 'quite time' was in the car with the radio and this person didn't think studying Scripture was needed.  I about lost it.  It took all I had not to go off on how that is so totally NOT the example Christ set for us.  Read through the Gospels.  Jesus was constantly reciting the Torah.  He only learned His Father's Word because He spent time learning it.  He prayed consistently and frequently.  He worshiped, surely.  But He repeatedly showed us through His own example that a song is just a tiny part of knowing God.  God told His people the Israelites to memorize His Word, think about it all the time, and teach it hour by hour to their children (Deuteronomy 11:18-20).  We can't truly know God through a song because songs are written by man.  God wrote His Word.

The thing that got my goat the most is the phrase "it's just not me" when the person described sitting and studying Scripture, sermons, etc.  Really?!  Do you think it's just me to wake up 30 minutes earlier than I necessary to have alone time with my Daddy God?  Do you think it's just me to pray for others and not just myself or to rejoice in the ever reliable nature of my God on crummy days?  Do you think it's just me to go to Bible study on Tuesday nights at 8:30 when I'm normally halfway ready for bed at that time of evening?  I think not!  I am made in my Father's image, but I am fully human.  My first instinct is to please myself.  It takes a daily prayer each morning for God to reveal Himself through His Word and grant me focus for me to have my quiet time.  It takes the support of a few dear friends to push me when I want to throw in the towel.

And I learned all this the hard way, and I still don't have it down well.  I have a mother who lives Deuteronomy 11:18-20 pretty darn well.  As a kid at home, if I woke up earlier than normal and walked in her room, she'd be in the same chair each day with her Bible and study materials.  Sometimes I'd catch her at prayer time.  She'd glance up, give me a look that clearly indicated I was to wait and leave, and she'd go back to God.  When she was finished, she'd come see what I needed, help me with breakfast, or whatever it was.  We'd catch Dad like this at night sometimes, though I think maybe his lunch hour was more of his quiet time.  Maybe it was the mornings, but he had to leave long before we were awake, and I've never bothered to ask.  Anyway, the point is that I had an two examples showing me that God comes first to survive, and hopefully thrive, through each day.  Actually, I had four, because my grandparents are just like this too.  I love knowing that while my family loves me dearly, they put Jesus before me.  That's true comfort.  I saw them, I knew this, but I ignored it until February of this year.  I finally surrendered my time and my sleep and my selfishness to the only One who can truly give rest, and internally, life has been a million times better.  Externally, the world still falls apart.  That's part of living in a sinful world.  Yet, there is a peace and a comfort that only God provides that comes each morning when I choose to turn myself over to Him as soon as I waken.  It's beautiful and glorious.  My time with Him is yet to be what I desire it to be, and not nearly as in depth as My Heart, Christ's Home describes.  Am I working on it?  Yes.  Is it me?  No way.  But will I use that as an excuse to miss out on the greatest love ever known?  Not again I won't.  I praise God for breaking me of one tiny little bit of my selfishness, and I pray He continues to work on me, and others too.  I ache to think what folks like my classmate are missing because I know from experience.  Create a revival in us all, Father!

1 comment:

LaLa said...

Loved this post. I will have to check out this book. It sounds great. God wants us to sit in his presence. Of course our fleshly selves find it "not us" but thats what we are called to do. Yes,I could have went on my soap box with his comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...