Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Book Review: The Little Chapel That Stood

The events of 9-11-01 are permanently glued into my memory.  That day seems as vivid today as if it were yesterday.  Yet, this year's 6th graders weren't even a year old when fear enveloped our nation.  They know stories from their parents, but they have no memory of this day eleven years ago.  That's so hard for me to grasp.

CCISD bought a copy of The Little Chapel That Stood by A.B. Curtiss for each campus.  I was able to read it to my students today.  This beautiful poem in a picture book doesn't shy away from death and destruction, but it does put a focus on Old St. Paul's Chapel that survived the collapse of the WTC.  I visited this chapel brief last summer on the TAHG trip, and I'm so glad to have access to this sweet story of hope admist destruction.  The students come away with a clear picture of ways they can make a difference even though they are young.  I'm so grateful for precious ways to teach my students about tragedy. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...