Monday, May 16, 2011

STS-134

I spent the morning listening to shuttle launch preps while I got ready for work.  We don't miss shuttle launches in the Ozinga house, regardless of time of day or night.  :)  We left a bit early for work because if we had stayed home to watch Endeavour take off from KSC for her last voyage around the Earth, we might've been late.

Once again, stress and prayers filled my mind as I sat in my empty room listening and watching the final minutes before the engines lifted that gorgeous bird into the air a few minutes before 8:00.  It was a beautiful day at the Cape, and I'm sure everyone was thrilled and full of awe as they stood watching.

I had time to speak with some astronaut friends this weekend.  I think the reality that the shuttle program is finally coming to a close is setting in hard for them.  It's setting in hard for the community too.  We don't understand why our government would want to stop something that sets us apart from every other nation on the Earth except one.  It doesn't make sense, and it's saddening and disheartening.

On a happier note, 6 very happy people are sound asleep, en route to dock with the Space Station.  What a ride!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...