Friday, May 13, 2011

Language

Human arrogance has been a part of the fall of man since time began.  When it comes to communication, this rings true from the days of the Tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9).  Man used language to go against God, thinking they could build a tower tall enough to reach the sky and make their name great.  I want to scream at those long dead bones, "Idiots!  We're only to make GOD's name great!".  See, again, why God is God and I am not.  No patience.

As punishment, the Lord scrambled language so folks couldn't understand each other work towards such arrogance.  This disappoints me because I wish I could speak with people at the drop of my hat without the fear of misunderstanding.  I love to know about culture and life in other places, but language can often be a barrier.  At the same time, I enjoy languages and learning the way new sounds and meanings roll off the tongue.  It's a challenge, but something I enjoy.  I just wish there was a Rosetta Stone or online course for Nyanja!

I used to be practically fluent in reading and writing, and could hold my own in a conversation.  I spent 5 years learning it in school.  In college, the degree I chose left no room to continue with either Spanish or the German I'd picked up as an extra course my last two years of high school, and so both began to fade.  However, on trips to Costa Rica and Mexico, I'd pick Spanish back up and enjoyed conversing with those I met.  It was thrilling to speak with someone in his or her native tongue and learn about life for that person.  My stubborn streak comes to play because I REFUSE to speak Spanish outside of the walls of a 'here's how to learn Spanish' classroom within the borders of this country.  I'll just leave it at that.  Again: why God is God and I am not.

Still, language lays heavy on my heart many days.  I know how much the internet is being used to proclaim the Gospel, and I long to join in on one of the easiest ministry opportunities to land in one's lap.  Chinese, Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, and Hebrew blogs, websites, and Facebook pages are being used to reach people whose countries are closed to the Gospel.  These people are desperately searching for meaning to their lives, and they often turn to the internet to seek answers.  What they often stumble into is the Truth of Christ, often seeing the Lord in ways they've never yet encountered.  I think it's a beautiful thing. 

Pray with me for new believers in countries far away who don't have the discipleship opportunities so readily available to us.  Ask God to strengthen their faith and help them understand Scripture through the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives.  Pray that God will give them strength and courage to withstand criticism as they share their faith with their families and friends.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...