Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Old Hollywood Birthday Party-Mom Turns 60!

My gorgeous, selfless mom turned 60 back on February 1st.  There was no way we were going to let Mom go without a big celebration.  We talked back and forth for weeks about how exactly we wanted to ring in 60, and we finally settled on something that made my childhood fabulous: the movies of the 60s.  Mom and my grandparents made sure I grew up with a very healthy dose of classic Hollywood (so really '40s-'60s), and Mom agreed that no one quite says grace, timelessness, and style like Audrey Hepburn.  We took Audrey and her beloved Paris and wove together an evening of Old Hollywood glamor and pizazz. 

The invitations were printed on Tiffany Blue paper and mailed to all the guests:

Then my sister-in-law (also Laura for those of you new around here) and I got to work planning and decorating!   Laura is a genius party organizer, and she did not let me down when it came to ideas for Mom's celebration.  Between the two of us, I think we could go into a party planning business.  We had so much fun coming up with the decor and putting it all together. 

See this huge Audrey painting?  I found it for $9 at the baby resale shop while looking for shoes for Man Cub.  How could I pass it up?!  It made for a great backdrop in my parents' dining room.

I put Audrey quotes around the house with pearls and bouquets of flowers to tie the theme together in each room.  "Paris is always a good idea." "Elegance in the only beauty that never fades." "Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says, 'I'm possible'!"

Laura arranged all of the flowers.  We put my dad and granddad in charge of folding all 30 of those little Tiffany boxes that held Dove chocolates.  The guys (with a little help from my grandma) even tied all of the ribbons!  We added 'diamonds' in various sizes and rose petals to center of each table as well.  Robinette Caterers, a delicious local establishment, catered the tastiest pork loin, new potatoes, strawberry spinach salad, and green beans almondine. 



Of course no party of mine would be complete without one of Isaac's amazing cake creations.  He made this one chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream and strawberry mousse.  The leftovers may or may not have been eaten in bed the next morning for breakfast by some very content party guests....

No celebration of my mom would be right without her two best friends of 40-ish years.  Donna and Patti both flew in from Kentucky for a long weekend.  Time with the YaYas is never wasted!  Patti's daughter Bethany (my 'cousin') even joined them.  Stayed tuned for more of our shenanigans!  They made amazing Audreys, seen here channeling Holly Golightly.


There were 29 of us who came to celebrate Mom.  Her dearest friends, mostly from church, all came to visit, play in the photo booth, and love on Mom as we chatted about the amazing things she's done in 60 years.  She is so loved and cherished, and we had a great time honoring her influence in our lives. 
And then there's the crazy family.  I'd say we had too much fun in the photo booth, but I don't think there's such a thing!  We enjoyed ourselves with food, and family, and friends, and awesome 60s music.  And kudos to Dad and Isaac for rockin' the Dean Martin hats and skinny ties.  They did that all on their own!

Mom, we adore you.  Thank you for being who you are, and please keep at it for many, many more years!

Love,
Your hostesses with the most-estes.  Ha.

Seriously, Laura and I need to plan more parties. Except next time, I'll iron photo booth backdrops (oops), and I'll pay a couple of teens from church to keep the buffet full and wash up so that I can socialize with the guests.  Other than that, the night was perfect.

1 comment:

stevenjared0853 said...

This is a perfect family party!! It seems like you all enjoyed in the party. Your mom rocked the night. I love her style. Anyway, I also want to host such a huge party on my mom’s birthday. Please suggest some medium sized Hollywood venues for this party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...