Friday, January 24, 2014

An Open Letter to My Husband On His 28th Birthday


Dear Isaac,

You amaze me.  Truly.  You are the most talented person I know, and yet your humility keeps those talents hidden from most.  You are a master engineer (seriously, we need to hang all your certificates of appreciation from NASA...it's time), top notch carpenter, electrician, plumber, seamster, dog trainer, wall painter, car mechanic, cake decorator, and there's probably something I'm missing.  The best part is that you openly and willingly use these talents to serve others and never charge them the full value of your time and efforts.  If you can get away without payment, you do.  You've taught me to be more humble and not expect to always get in return for my work.  Thank you. 

I've watched you take hold of the goal of leading our family in Christ over the last 4 1/2 years.  Every time I turn around, you surprise me with some new revelation of how Christ wants our family to be living.  When God is speaking to me, and I share those words with you, you listen intently and then discover ways to make His Truth more and more a part of our daily lives.  You've learned to pray with me and not just for me.  Thank you.

You know I hate surprises, or at least knowing surprises are coming, and you love to give them.  Somehow, you've learned to surprise me with treasures without me knowing anything was impending.  And each time, you get better at it.  Thank you.

You love me.  All of me.  Even the unloveable parts that rant and rave and have bad, nasty days.  That takes a lot.  I'm not easy to love, let's be honest.  Yet, you do it, each day, and teach me to be easier on myself, to let the little things go, and to put Jesus first.  You encourage me to do all God is asking of me, to try new things, and make time for myself.  Thank you.

I love you, Isaac.  Happy birthday!

Laura

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...