Friday, September 23, 2011

Vacation Get-Away!

My dear friend Michelle linked up on Kristen's blog for a super cute blog post, and since I adore traveling, I had to join in on this one!  Kristen asked her bloggers to write about their five favorite vacation locations-places they have already visited.  My trouble is picking just five!

{FIVE}
Walt Disney World
How can you not love all things Disney?!  I've posted blogs in the past about my love for the magical feeling that can be nearly overwhelming once entering a Disney Park.  So many fun childhood-and adulthood-memories are tucked away for me in the depths of the Disney parks.  I'm thankful for the time I've gotten to spend there with my family, Isaac, and my sweet friend Meredith

{FOUR}
Ft. DeSoto Beach and State Park
On our last trip to Florida, we spent two days at one of the most pristine beaches I've ever seen.  We encountered dolphins just a dozen yards from us, found countless living sand dollars, and soaked up all the waves, sun, and soft sand we could manage.  The fort was built for protection from the Spanish during the 1890s and the Spanish American War, which means there is lots of history to investigate.  There are also places to kayak right alongside manatees and sea turtles in the park.  What a special treat!

{THREE}
Washington, D.C.
I have visited our nation's capital city twice now, and I'm just in love.  I went in the winter of '07 and this past summer.  While yours truly is a history buff of all kinds except for American history (go figure), I so much enjoy the capital and all of the special treasures it holds.  The monuments are probably my favorite places, but the Holocaust Museum, all of the Smithsonians, the National Zoo, and the Newseum are must sees!

{TWO}
London
I've never been to continental Europe-just Britain and Ireland.  While I love Ireland has a whole more than just about  anywhere, London is a much more manageable trip, especially on an 8 hour layover!  My second and third times to London were on layovers traveling to Zambia, and I made every second count in a city I have grown to adore, which is a HUGE statement for this self-proclaimed city-phob!  And...it's easy to navigate all alone like I was!  WHOOP!  I love the history, the shopping, the architecture, and the people.  Even better, it's not dirty like NYC or other large cities I've visited. 

{ONE}
Chaminuka Park, Zambia
If you know me, it's not a surprise that Zambia is my number one place to be.  While my work and time visiting my family there aren't considered vacation, my time at the lodge at Chaminuka is vacation, and the absolute best ever!  The people that live in and maintain the animal reserve are precious, dear folks who love Jesus and their nation.  While I look for glimpses of Eden everywhere I go, I think cuddling a 3 day old, orphaned kudu, standing in a field with two wild giraffes, and riding horses amongst herds of wildebeest and zebra is about as close as I will come this side of eternity.  I cannot wait to take Isaac to visit Chaminuka this summer when I finally get to take him home with me!

Where are your favorite places to travel?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'd LOVE to go to DC sometime to visit those museums! Thanks for linking up! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...