Saturday, September 17, 2011

Presidential Elections-Zambia

Nearly a month ago I received a phone call from an American friend in Zambia asking for prayer for the upcoming presidential elections on September 20th.  The tone in her voice was strained, and I knew even before the details began to come that things must be bad.  Zambia has been an incredibly peaceful nation since its birth in 1964 when Britain granted her independence after years of colonial rule.  In the midst of a continent of tribal strife, corruption, and struggles for power sits Zambia, a peaceful, beautiful, and often silent reminder of what the whole of Africa has the potential to be. 

Lately however, quarrels between political theologies have broken out in the middle of the streets, with small riots occurring as citizens have chosen sides between the two completely opposite presidential candidates.  I don't pretend to understand all that's at stake if President Banda is re-elected or if Mr. Sata is chosen instead.  I have my opinions, but I hardly even trust them because the Zambian press is government controlled and not even the BBC is covering enough of the campaign to form an accurate assessment of the situation.

These teenage girls deserve a fair, free future.
What I've gathered from my friends and family in Lusaka, the capital city, and my time there last summer, is that President Banda is a good man.  He's not perfect, but what leader is?  President Banda strives for democracy and pushes for the advancement of Zambia.  He welcomes foreign aid and foreign workers as he knows they help the Zambian economy.  Mr. Sata is more or less the exact opposite, and that scares me, as a milder form Robert Mugabe in neighboring Zimbabwe quickly comes to mind.  I completely understand his desire for Zambia to be self-sustaining and not influenced by foreigners,but not even America is capable of that.  

My Canadian friend told me last week how his fiance was caught up in a small protest/riot in town, and it made me sick.  She's Zambian and can handle her own like no one I've ever met, but all she wanted to do was run a few errands.  Sheesh!  Another friend sent me an email this week saying the violence is minimal but that the vocal protests are long and loud when the two opposing sides meet.  Sounds like home, huh?

Beautiful Chaminuka, outside of Lusaka
Please join me in praying that God Almighty will move in the hearts of the voters this weekend as they make their decisions about who to mark on their ballots.  God is sovereign and He will use the outcome of this election for His glory; pray that Satan's influences are squashed and God may reign supremely in the hearts and minds of Zambians.  Pray for peace on Tuesday, the 20th so that elections may run smoothly, that protesters do not influence the decisions of the voters, and that no one won't vote for fear of what might happen at the polls.  Pray that the votes will be reported and recorded truthfully, and that the winner is humble and the loser is gracious.  May God bless you greatly for your prayers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...