Sunday, September 11, 2011

One Decade Past


I told myself I wouldn't blog today.  I don't care for this day.  The memories are too much most years.  But, church today changed my heart, so here I am with a few words and hopefully a little wisdom.

September 11, 2011 was right at one month into my junior year of high school.  It was a "B" week, so that Tuesday found me in my "A" classes (block schedule was the best!), so at 7:30 AM, I was beginning chemistry.  Class was normal, but at 8:57 AM when we entered the halls again, the atmosphere had changed.  Kids were talking about a plane in NYC.  Something sounded strange, but I shrugged it off and went on to German I.  My teacher was upset when I got to class.  Another foreign language teacher was off 1st and had the radio on, so she kept telling us reports from across the hall.  My teacher was working on a paper clip TV antenna (yay for the good old days of analog), so we finally got the Today Show broadcast.  It didn't take more than a few seconds of watching and listening to see that something was really, really wrong.  A moment later, another plane crashed into the 2nd tower.  I remember sitting in my desk completely frozen.  Then the towers began to crumple and shock took over for reality.  Confusion was paramount, and nothing I saw or heard made sense.  Reports about DC and Pennsylvania began to trickle into the broadcast.  My friend Savana Horton and I were the only two upperclassman in that class (we were also in Spanish 4 that year, so we were insane, but we learned a lot!), and our teacher wasn't about to stop us from moving around the room to sit with friends.  I wish the  broadcasters had been able to supernaturally know all the facts, because they unwittingly allowed a lot of fear-mongering to happen.  Between the Port of Houston, NASA, and the oil and chemical plants, Houston sure seemed like a good target if another plane had been captured.  3rd Period PALS and 4th Period US History were more of the blur of news reports and trying to make heads and tails of the mornings events. 

A lot of prayer happened that day.  Going home to my family at 2:30 was blissfully sweet as we talked and trusted the Lord.  At 16, I was innocent enough to be unaware of those who hate America and believe that violence is the answer to the hole in their souls that only Christ can fill.  And, I began to realize more and more that our world is dying, as the Bible declares will happen as we draw closer and closer to the day of Christ's return.  Violence and disaster and horrible tragedies will increase, in part because Satan is making a desperate last attempt to turn hearts away from salvation, and in part because God wants us to draw close to Him and make Him known before He judges us one last time.

Just in Houston, in the last 10 years, we've had Tropical Storm Allison, Hurricane Ike, Columbia, violence that has taken young lives from our community, so many lost from disease, and a drought that is wreaking havoc and damage all across town.  Countless other calamities are happening all over the world.  Yet, my hope isn't in this world. I don't despair.  Christ is coming.  A new Earth is soon to be established; God Word says so, and it's true and perfect in every way.  Praise You Jesus, that You are my hope, and that You teach us how to cope in a world full of terrorists and evil and how to show Your glory inspite of Satan! 

The angel said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God who inspires the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.  Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll. Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
~Revelation 22:6-7; 12-13

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...