Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

The Environmental Working Group has an awesome consumer guide on their website so that shoppers can see what harm (if any) can come from the ingredients in the products they buy.  It's so cool, so go check it out!

The downside is that I'm learning a TON of the items in my house are in no way shape or form good for the body.  Since I'd like to live a healthy life, we've been working hard for well over a year now to reduce the amount of chemicals found in our home.

One of the first places I turned was my bathroom.  Skin is the largest organ in the body, and thanks to pores, everything that's put on the skin enters the body.  For ages, I've been testing the natural deodorants found at the organic/health food stores.  I've avoided aluminum, but finding a deodorant that works without parabens or glycol is another issue.  Yes, I don't stay dry without the aluminum, but I shouldn't have to stink either.  It's been a losing battle that's left me frustrated.

A few friends have had great success with homemade deodorants, so on Monday, I decided to my hand at it.  I used my friend Courtney's recipe, and so far I'm pleased with the results.  All credit goes to Courtney, and I'm so grateful she shared her recipe!  Better yet, this took me a grand total of 10 minutes to make!  I can't get to the grocery store that fast!

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/4 C Baking Soda
1 oz. Beeswax
1/4 C Arrowroot Powder
Young Living Essential Oils (I used 10 drops lavender, 5 drops rosemary, and 1 drop peppermint...next time, I'm probably going to double the amount of oil)
Empty, clean deodorant containers (I used an old one that I washed and dried)

Steps:
1) Measure out the ingredients.  My scale, tared for the glass dish, made getting 1 oz of beeswax a snap!

2) In a double boiler, melt together the coconut oil and beeswax.  Be patient...the water was nearly boiling before that beeswax melted!

3) Wisk together remaining ingredients.  I turned off the burner before doing this.

4) Carefully pour into the deodorant container.  This actually made enough for about 2 containers, but I only had one on hand.  I poured the remaining into an extra.  I plan on using it later...don't want to waste anything!

5) Place in the fridge to cool thoroughly.  It should be fine to keep at room temperature once it solidifies. 

Voila!  Good for you deodorant that will keep you smelling fresh on these hot summer days! 

1 comment:

Lisa Loves John said...

Super fun!!! I love home made house and beauty products!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...