Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Journey to Joy Kickoff

If you've read my blog for long, you might have picked up on the fact that I don't always enjoy women in large doses.  There's something about the drama that goes along with a large group of women that makes me insane.  My life has enough drama without anyone else's whining.

While I was at A&M, my perceptions of 'girl drama' began to change when I joined Sigma Phi Lambda my freshman year.  I learned that while just because a group of girls claims to be Christian doesn't mean drama is handled 100% of the time, God equipped me to handle it better.  Now at UBC, I'm seeing that the whiny drama I loathe isn't tolerated, but isn't bashed either.  Women are encouraged and nurtured by each other in the Women's Ministry in ways that diminish the traits about gatherings of women from which I had always shied away.

Two years ago I began facilitating women's Bible studies on Monday evenings because the options for working women-of any age-were very limited.  It's been fabulous, and I've enjoyed growing in my knowledge of my Daddy God and His will for His children with the women I've met in my groups.  This Fall, UBC is launching an evening version of Journey to Joy, the Women's Ministry's morning Bible study and fellowship time.  Now, instead of just 10 of us meeting to study together, dozens of us will join on Tuesday evenings for a time of fellowship, worship, and then our separate small group studies.  I am so excited!

Tonight was the Open House of sorts for Journey to Joy.  I felt a bit of deja vu since I probably hadn't had worship with that many other sisters in Christ since I graduated from A&M/Phi Lamb.  It was nothing fancy, but just munching and visiting and then simple worship with just a guitar and singing was just what this busy lady needed!

In two weeks, we start up our Fall Semester.  I was excited before, but now I'm counting the days!  What a blessing. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...