Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ticket Pull

Saturday morning felt like I was back in college, getting up early to pull tickets for a big game.  It was my turn to buy tickets for our family to see Celebration at FBC this year (see here and here to understand why this is such a big deal).  I woke up at 5:30 and made it to FBC by 6:42.  Tickets go on sale at 8:00 each year, and I was 27th in line.  I had brought my book (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Howling-fabulous story!) and plopped down to dig into the story.  At 7:00, they opened the doors so we could wait in the candy cane-themed foyer until 8:00.  More and more people kept arriving, and by the time I had my ten tickets and was walking out the door at 8:24, I bet there were over 200 people in line.  We're picky about where we sit.  We want the lower level, but the first couple of rows of the back section so we can see the animals parade across the middle aisle.  Too close to the front and we won't even know they were in the sanctuary.  Too high up and it's just not as fun. 

While in line, the couple in front of me were Ol' Ags, so they struck up conversation upon seeing my shirt in honor of our (hopeful) win against Baylor and my Aggie ring.  The gentleman was giving me a hard time about my ring because it looks so new while his is so worn that many of the symbols are no longer visible. I love hearing stories about the glory days at A&M...when everyone had to be in the Corps, and it was still an all male campus.  So many funny tales! 

My new friends also asked me if I knew who won the Heisman in 1950.  I sadly didn't know.  I was then asked if I knew which actor when the Oscar in 1960.  Still didn't know.  He then asked me if I remembered the name(s) of teacher(s) who had made a difference in my life.  Of course I do!  God knew exactly what I needed to hear to keep my career in perspective because it sure has been a challenging year.  Thank You, Jesus for speaking through the words of others!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...