Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ease of Medical Care

In the morning I'll be having a minor surgical procedure on my elbow.  While I despise surgery because it's a flat out annoyance,(and don't I ever know it!), I couldn't help but be incredibly grateful to be able to have the surgery at all.  The thought that such a simple fix for a lot of pain would be highly difficult to come by in Zambia, and many other parts of the world was fixed in my mind most of the day.  The equipment to diagnose the problem with my elbow can't be found in every country.  A clean facility with good nurses, doctors, and anesthesiologists aren't easy to come by in many places.  Then, the insurance to make it financially possible for me to have the procedure without bankrupting my family is something not many nations can boast.   I couldn't help but ache in my heart for those who have non-life threatening but painful and annoying conditions and have no way to get treatment.  Most NGOs, mission groups, and health organizations only focus on meeting the needs of patients with incredibly serious conditions.  I understand that, and it certainly makes sense, but the minor issues can add up over time.  While I can't promise I won't be grumbling some the next few days, I do know I'll be praying much more frequently for those who 'suck it up' on a daily basis.  Lord, bless them!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...