Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday


2011 was the first time I've ever gone to an Ash Wednesday service in large part because most Methodists and Baptist don't observe the day with a lot of pomp and circumstance. I was grateful our church pastors decided to hold to the Christian liturgical calendar and honor the day.  It was a simple service of prayer, Scripture, reflection, and worship.  I like the symbolism behind the ashes of repentance and sacrifice.

I suppose what I don't understand is the fasting from 'things' that so many people in our country choose.  In the churches in which I was raised, and in my family, the focus was on separating oneself from things that put distance between the individual and the Lord.  Certain attitudes, various types of media, and sleeping in were often the topic of discussion when it came to Lent because these things eat up our time and tempt us from drawing closer to Christ. I simply still don't understand the reasoning of giving up something that won't result in my knowing my Savior in a deeper manner after 40 days.   So, my 40 days of aching to see Jesus more intimately have now begun. 

Reveal Yourself, Jesus, especially to those who don't yet know You as we prepare for Easter.  Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

totally agree. i never understood how giving up chocolate or diet coke could help draw someone closer to Christ. I suppose for some those things could be a barrier between them and knowing Christ more intimately. And tell me about this... I believe when fasting we are suppose to do it in quiet, not boast that we are fasting. Is it the same for lent? Should we keep what we are "giving up" between us and God?

Laura said...

All of Matthew chapter 6 talks about performing righteous acts in secret so as to not appear pompous or to look like the hypocrites who only do good things but whose hearts aren't right before God. Prayer, giving to charity, and fasting are all mentioned in Matthew 6. Personally, I think it should be kept quiet, just between oneself and God, unless you need an accountability partner to help you be successful. Even then, that's only one or two people who know, not multitudes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...