Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quiet Times

When I lived in College Station, I had a little corner of my bedroom setup with a small papasan chair so I could have my quiet times in a simple, uncluttered space. It was a perfect setup for the three years I lived in that house. Don't get me wrong; I wasn't perfect. There were lots of days in those three years when I never made it to my corner where the Lord was patiently waiting for me to visit. However, it certainly helped me make my quiet times a much more consistent part of my day than they had been in high school.

After I moved back to Houston nearly 2 years ago, I sold all of my 'little girl' furniture and moved my 'big girl' furniture for college into my old room. I didn't keep the little papasan chair though because I didn't feel like there was a good place for it. For two years I tried to find a place in my room that felt 'right' for my quiet times, but I was completely unsuccessful. My bed made me feel sleepy; my desk always reminded me of other things I felt needed doing; my floor was just awkward. Needless to say, God was frustrated with me, and I was frustrated with myself for seemingly being unable to commit my time to Him, as He demands us to do, and as we should long to do.

I've always had a thing for rocking chairs. I've asked Isaac to buy me a glider with an ottoman for a wedding present, I love them so much! Mom has an old, beautiful rocking chair in her room that been used for nothing more than a dry cleaning holding spot for clothes for over 12 years. I finally asked her if I could borrow it. She agreed, so about a week ago, Dad moved it upstairs for me. I situated it in a corner near my desk (yes, I need a corner!), but some blankets and a pillow on it, and made myself a perfect quiet time nook. My desk is right there to keep my Bible, study books, and journal, but I'm angled enough not to see things awaiting attention on my desk. I have my favorite lap, and it's just wonderful! I feel drawn to my corner every evening when I get home. I feel so much better internally, and it's no wonder why! Sheesh! Seems I was a goober and should've asked the Lord to help me solve my problem much sooner, but I'm grateful now. When Jesus demands something of us, in this case our undivided attention to Him daily, He means it for a reason. Lesson learned.

My Quiet Time Nook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...