Thursday, April 14, 2011

Introducing Aggie Belle!

Two weeks ago today we brought home a very cute 8 week old, 10 pound weimaraner puppy.  As of today, she is officially ours since we didn't decide to send her back during the two week 'foster' period (in other words, Bailey didn't try to kill one or all of the four of us since Aggie joined the family).   I'm still trying to figure out WHY we did this, but we did.  I suppose much of this has to do with the fact that Isaac has wanted a weim for well over 2 years and has looked almost daily on the Houston section of the Weim Rescue of TX website for a puppy.  We only do rescue animals in this house (the birds don't count), so it took quite awhile for puppies to show up that needed rescuing. 
Meeting in our front yard for the first time.

On Wednesday morning, March 30th, Isaac called to say there was a puppy on the rescue site.  By 7:00 PM on the 31st, Isaac was sitting in our front yard introducing Bailey to his sister, Aggie Belle.  The whole time I kept thinking about how we were destroying sweet Bailey's peaceful life (and ours).  We're calm people in the Ozinga family.  Running and jumping and random chaos don't jive well with our lifestyles.  And yet, now there is an ever growing, gray wiggle worm in our family who will charm me with one upward glance of those sea green eyes, even when I'm beside myself that we have her.
Mommy and Aggie Belle on 3-31
All things considered, Bailey is doing a phenomenal job as far as adjusting to sharing his kingdom with another canine.  Keep in mind that Bailey has no idea that he is canine.  He truly thinks he is a human and has all of the rights and privileges of a human.  

The easiest adjustment for Bailey was walk time.  Bailey gets at least 2 walks a day, and he decided that sharing a walk with Aggie Belle was exciting and adventuresome.  Bailey has learned to share the kitchen and is eating like a champ now that he knows Aggie isn't allowed near his bowls, but he can share her water bowl.  Bailey does not like sharing 'his' bedroom.  He still hides and cowers when we're all back there, but with a few training treats, he's getting the idea.  I think it helps that Aggie isn't allowed on furniture while Bailey is.
First bath
Aggie is doing pretty well growing up in the Ozinga House.  She's only had 8 potty accidents in 2 weeks.  I don't know what other people's experiences are like with puppies, but I think that's good.  She's learning to walk on a leash and hardly needs positive reinforcement anymore.  Aggie Belle has gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks, and while she doesn't seem longer yet, she's definitely taller!  The sweet girl mostly sleeps through the night and no longer cries when put to bed in her kennel.  She has realized that her kennel is a good place to be, full of toys and yummy things to chew, so she doesn't mind being in there while we're gone either.  

Mommy (me) is not adjusting so well.  I've had several panic attacks and freak out moments.  I've never had a large breed dog, and while Aggie is easy to transport (ie, she loves 'holdy time' nearly as much as Bailey!) and small now, I can't imagine a nearly 70 pound dog in my house.  The balance of two incredibly need beings versus one feels overwhelming to me.  And, when I see Bailey struggling to adjust, it just does in my heart.  Bailey and I have a bond that can't be replaced because both of us were so horridly ill when we met that we just learned to depend on each other for everything (yes, it sounds corny, but it's true).  Bonding with a puppy is just a more difficult experience for me.  Aggie Belle seems to adore the ground I walk on though.  She follows me almost constantly and noses my ankles to get me to sit and play.  Now it's up to Time to make this work.  

Daddy (Isaac) is in heaven!  He doesn't even mind scrubbing the carpet the few times Aggie Belle has had an accident.  He's learning to balance time with each dog, and he's doing a great job with training.  
There will be plenty of adventures in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...