Thursday, November 11, 2010

ISS Cupola

Tuesday night Isaac was looking through Nasa Watch, which is pretty typical for him.  I was trying to finish reading the latest Beverly Lewis novel, but the scrolling screen of photos kept grabbing my attention.  When Isaac reached this photo, the book had to be ignored:
This is Tracy Dyson, who spent about 6 months on the ISS and just returned home about 4 weeks ago.  Yep, she's laying, as much as one can lay in Zero-G, on windows, watching the Earth roll past.  Holy freakin' cow!  I lost it!  Is there anything that would be this experience?  I don't know.  Yes, these things get to me because I'm a history/world cultures/geography teacher, but that aside, how amazing would it be to stretch out in your comfy clothes in space and watch all that God has made on this Earth slowly turn beneath you?  The waterworks started as Isaac showed me more pictures of the windows, called the Cupola on the ISS.
The Italians made the Cupola, and it's a grand improvement over the port hole type windows the astronauts were previously limited to using.  I now have an overwhelming desire to visit the ISS!  Don't laugh!  My job skills may not have much to offer NASA, but I'll be happy to just sit and watch for hours.  le sigh.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. ~Psalm 139:7-12

"The heavens stretch to hold You..." ~Rich Mullins

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...