Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Zambian Half of Me

Well, I just had the best weekend in ages! I got in touch with Sandy, the lady whose church built the school in Kalinglinga for my brothers. When she found out I would be in Arlington for the weekend, she couldn't wait for us to get together, and she made sure to let me know Fred and Jeff lived about 2 miles from the hotel where I was staying. WOOHOO, God! You are awesome!

Friday night, we all met at Salt Grass for dinner. Jeff brought his wife Bridget and their girls Tina and Joelle. Fred came, but his wife Aggie and their daughter Sarah were busy packing for their trip to Zambia on Tuesday. We had a wonderful time catching up on the past 13 years.

I found out all sorts of things, such as the fact that the boys in the choir are from several different tribes that all speak different languages, but there is a language called Nyanja that they all use to communicate. Jeff and his wife grew up not far from each other, but they speak different languages at home, so they use Nyanja. Jeff and Fred are the same way. So, so, so cool to me that so many different people groups live in such close proximity in peace, and have for decades. Despite the poverty, lack of education, and AIDS, the peace is a true blessing.

Jeff hadn't seen me since I was 17, and Fred hadn't seen me since I was 13, so the looks on their faces when they saw me were priceless. Tina had no problem warming up to me, and Bridget is the most run-way model gorgeous lady you've ever met. Not only is Bridget gorgeous, but she's so incredibly nice, warm, and caring. I didn't expect less than that for my boys, but it was great to see. I didn't manage to get a picture with her, but I will next visit!


Fred, Tina, and Jeff with me
While my conference sessions on Friday were great, I couldn't wait for 5:15 when Jeff picked me up to head to their house for dinner. Bridget had to work at 6:00, but Fred brought little Sarah over, and the fun began!
Tina ran to great me; Jeff said she'd been asking for me all day. Of course that made my heart melt! We talked and played while Jeff and I started working on Google Earth. When Fred and Sarah arrived, the guys got so enthralled with Google Earth! They had a blast looking at Kalingalinga and the surrounding areas, finding familiar places and seeing what had changed. I heard lots of fun stories about the boys growing up. The girls would come sit in my lap and hear about their daddies as boys.
Happy, sweet Joelle
Love that huge smile on Tina's face!
Joelle thrilled me by letting me change her, feed her a bottle and baby food, and cuddle her. She wasn't having the greatest of nights; she's cutting her first teeth, but she handled it well, poor thing. In Zambia, there are no such thing as high chairs. I know that, but I had to bite my tongue not to panic when Jeff would set her on the counter or the table top. She was perfectly safe, and I knew that, but it was just not 'American'. :)
Tina helped me feed Joelle while Jeff cooked.
Bridget cooked traditional Zambian cabbage and beef with tomatoes for us to enjoy. Jeff made nshima to go with it. Nshima is a mixture of super fine cornmeal and water, boiled until it is almost the consistency of Play-doh. The whole meal is eaten without silverware back home, so I ate it that way too. It was super yummy, and I'm going to try my own hand at the meal soon.


Tina helping Jeff stir the nshima

Sarah and Tina with their nshima, beef, and cabbage
It started getting late, so I had to get returned to the hotel so the little girls could get to bed. Tina brought me her pjs and asked me to put them on her. Another heart melt moment! Both Tina and Sarah wanted to come spend the night with me and asked their daddies several times when they would get to come to Houston. I promised I'd come visit in June when I'm in Dallas for Ashley's wedding, so that helped, but it was hard to leave.

I'm so blessed to have family half a world a way, who has a different culture, who loves the Lord passionately, and has taught me so much about trust as they have over come a past of human trafficking. I pray for lots more mini family reunions both here in Texas and in Zambia!


Sarah and Tina...beautiful nieces!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...