Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy Adoption Day, Bailey!

In February of 2005, I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis that would be with me for the next 3 years, and took 4 surgeries and 2 major procedures to get under control. After the first two weeks stuck (mostly) in bed, I was done with the whole being alone thing. Mom was with me as much as possible, but I needed a full time companion. I talked my dad into letting me get a dog. :)
Off to the Brazos Valley Animal Shelter I went. It was February 24th, and I was anxious to bring home a new cuddly friend that day. I visited with and played with several dogs that afternoon, but one little fluffy boy grabbed my attention. The second I had walked toward his kennel, he stood up, looked right at me, and began wagging his tail. I looked at his information card to learn he was named Bruiser (oh, my!), was a long haired chihuahua, and was about 2 years old. We cuddled for awhile, and I was smitten.
The first time I met my little boy, 2-24-05
I talked with his care taker at the shelter to find out more about 'Bruiser'. He had been at the shelter the year before because his owners would care for him, and sadly he'd ended up with owners who didn't care much for him either. He was heartworm positive, was three pounds underweight, and had tattoos of demons on his inner thighs. I didn't care though. He was adorable, cuddly, and already knew I loved him. Sadly, he had to wait at the shelter for 6 more days before he could be released to come home. Even though his prior owners didn't want him anymore, the shelter had to keep him for a full 10 days before he could be released to me. I visited him a lot that week, and on March 1st, I signed the papers for BAILEY to be mine!
We went to Petco, made a name tag for him, bought a collar, harness, and leash, IAMS food, and dishes. Once we made it home, Bailey quickly made himself at home on my fleece blankets. He loved being outside, was very well house trained, and quickly learned commands.
Bailey's first day at home, 3-1-05
The next day, Bailey and I went to the vet to begin heartworm treatments. It was a two month ordeal, but we survived it by buying a baby sling so he could be with me at all times. To this day, he gets excited when I pull it out, and some days just has to be in it because he's turned into a snuggly baby instead of a dog. It's amazing how much cleaning and 'getting ready for the day' can be done with a 10 lb. dog strapped across you!
In the years to come, Bailey saw me through so much! God has used him to teach my entire family many, many lessons about love, faith, loyalty, protectiveness, joy, patience, obedience, and contentedness. We all adore him, and are so thankful God has blessed us with such a sweet little boy.
His daddy is IN LOVE with both of us! And Bailey's favorite spot is the beach!
We hope Bailey has many more happy years to come, and we love that he's had 7 years so far, especially the past 5!


Bridal portraits


Bailey hopes to fly with his uncle Jacob some day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...