Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Haitian Earthquake

My sophomore year in college, my roommate Kim traveled to Haiti for a mission trip over Spring Break. Kim worked in an orphanage, and fell in love with the people, language, and country. After she graduated, she made the bold, brave decision to follow God's calling for her to move to Haiti to work and teach with orphans and other children in Haiti for the next 4 years. I've learned a lot about the nation and its people as I've followed Kim's adventures, and have developed a strong respect for the resilience of so many in possibly the world's poorest nation.

I came home tonight from dinner to the news that a 7.0 earthquake hit the capital of Haiti, Port-au-Prince. The pictures of collapsed concrete are horrifying. Please be praying for those caught in the ruble, those who have lost everything, the injured, and those who have lost family and friends. Pray for the rescue workers and for giving hearts around the world to step up to meet a huge need. I'm already trying to figure out how to get my 6th graders involved. They love these opportunities to help.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...