Saturday, June 27, 2009

Prayers for Birth Parents

For over a week now, the Holy Spirit has led me to prayer and tears several times for the birth parents of our future children. It might sound so silly, and it did to me at first, but the more I pray, the more I realize the importance of spending daily time in prayer for the people who will bring my children into this world.

I don't know when we will adopt. We want to be out of debt (it's only school loans, but it's still not fun!), but even then we realize God might have other plans and lead us to our 1st child before we think we're ready. We don't know where our children will be born. We've talked about Zambia since I have 'brothers' from there, and the whole world knows I want a China princess. However, we might end up adopting here in Houston. Only the Lord knows that. Another thing Isaac and I don't know right now is if our children will be real orphans or children whose parents are alive but have relinqueshed parental rights.

If my children are true orphans, that means that by the time my children are in my arms for the first time, their birth parents' eternal fate will already be decided. When I was hit with that reality, it increased the urgency of my prayers. I desperately want my children to meet their birth parents in heaven. I want my children to have the peace growing up that their Daddy God is rejoicing in Heaven with their birth parents, should they be orphans. My prayers are that God will fill these peoples' lives now with Christians who will love on them, minister to them, and show them God's love in real, tangible ways that will bring them to faith in Christ and help them become disciples of Christ.

If my children have living birth parents, I still want them to know that they will meet their birth families in Heaven. There is all kind of debate about the benefits and consequences of open adoption. I personally don't like the idea. I'm selfish and don't want to share. I don't want to confuse my children or cause them to have to feel like they must choose loyalty lines. I want them to know that they are adopted and were specially picked out by God just for their Mommy and Daddy. I'm ok with them seeking out their living family members once they are old enough to make those kinds of decisions. However, I digress. Just because my children might have living birth parents doesn't mean I should be less persistent in praying for God to work in their lives right now and asking that He start putting people in their lives that will love on them, minister to them, and show them God's truth and salvation.

For all I know, my children's birth parents are still teenagers or younger right now. I don't know how many trials are yet to come in their lives. I don't know what their daily lives are like. But I do know that they are loved and appreciated by me, and they are covered in prayers. Thankfully, my Lord has HUGE ears, and He ears my prayers!

1 comment:

The Roberts' said...

Josh & I have a huge heart for adoption & we can't wait to do it one day. We are planning on going through New Life Adoption there in Houston. They are a Bible-believing adoption agency & I recommend y'all check them out when you start getting serious about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...