Saturday, February 12, 2011

Surprise Day

Isaac isn't just huge on Valentine's Day since it's so incredibly over-commercialized, though we both like the idea of a day set aside specifically to show love to those in our lives.  Regardless, Valentine's Day falls on Monday this year, and that's the night I lead Bible study, so I wasn't expecting us to do much in the way of celebrating.  However,  Isaac told me this morning that he had our day all planned, so I was excited to see what all would happen.

He at first made me think Bailey was being left behind, but I saw him trying to sneakily make his lunch in a to-go cup, and I saw a beach towel on the counter, so I knew our sweet little boy was going with us somewhere.  Isaac also thought he'd throw me off the trail by taking the bypass to Galveston instead of directly getting on the freeway, but I'm smarter than he thinks.  We stopped at Subway to grab us some lunch, and then headed to our favorite pre-Ike beach spot.  The bath house and snack bar haven't been rebuilt, but it's still the best stretch of untouched sand that isn't state park, and we love it.  There was little breeze and the water was so calm.  It actually looked blue (no thanks to you, Mississippi River!), and the sand seemed to have been untouched for days.  Bailey loves the beach.  No one can quite figure out why since he despises water, but there is something about the feel of the sand in his paws, the salt air, free reign to terrorize seagulls, and no leash laws that thrill this little boy to pieces!  Since Bailey's birthday is in two weeks, our beach trip made a perfect early birthday party for the little guy.  He was not happy about sitting in the truck bed with us while we ate our lunch, so we let him on down to explore.  Despite his excitement, his listening ears were still turned on, and he did a great job of doing exactly as he was told all day long.  Isaac and I enjoyed our time walking, talking, and exploring all the tide brought our way, and Bailey was just as happy as a calm, pun intended.  :)  We were a bit chilly in the 55 degree air, but the sun was gorgeous and the lack of clouds made for a stunning day.  After three miles of walking, Isaac and I were ready to head back to the mainland, though Bailey made sure we knew he wasn't thrilled with out decision.  He made several new friends, both human and canine, and he wasn't quite ready to leave yet. 

After Bailey was settled back in at the house, Isaac took me shopping for frames for the canvas oil paintings I brought home from Zambia.  He's in the process of mounting them for me, and he wants to frame the smaller of the two.  We had fun wandering Hobby Lobby and talking about what he should build me next.  I love that Isaac wants to build me things with his own two hands, and he loves that he has excuses to buy new power tools.  It works out beautifully!

I don't like clothes shopping, but I hadn't bought anything new since the shorts I found during the summer, so Isaac took me to buy some Spring time things.  After spending time in Costa Rica and Zambia, it's hard to justify buying new clothes, but Isaac is so good with our budget, and he set aside money specifically for this shopping trip as a surprise.  While I still feel guilty going shopping because of what I know 98% (yes, literally that number) of the world does without, it was peaceful knowing my husband takes care of us and that it was ok for me to make a few purchases without hurting our long term goals. I loved having my husband tell me when he liked an outfit.  It's even fun watching him roll his eyes when something looks hideous! 

We ended our day with a long, laughter filled dinner at a local diner called T-Bone Tom's.  Yes, it's the one that's been on the Food Network, and it's one of few places that isn't a tourist trap in our area thanks to the ruination of so many old classics by the Landry's Corp.  We don't think to go there very often, but we had a blast sitting 'outside' (the plastic walls were down and the space heaters were on), eating a crazy mix of bbq and seafood, and just enjoying time together.  We haven't had a day like this in ages, and it was such a blessing.  It was a perfect Valentine's celebration, and we didn't even need flowers or cards...just a piece of chocolate silk pie to end the day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...