Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book-a-holic

 Hello.  My name is Laura, and I'm a book-a-holic. 

And admitting my addiction is as close to recovery as I care to come.  :)

Since Christmas vacation began, I've probably read close to 20 books.  If I wasn't teaching full time, that number might be upwards of 30 or more.  I can almost read a 300-400 page book in a day during the summer.  I was the kid that had the book in my lap while the teacher/other students talked.  I'm still the person who has to read at least a few pages before I can fall asleep at night.  I don't read books; I devour them.  There's something about the knowledge that comes from learning what's between the two covers that is invigorating and intriguing.  The world can turn upside down, but nothing will take away what enters one's mind through a book. 

Isaac estimated that I read over $1000 in books in 2010.  I don't think we paid a penny for them though because I use the library or gift cards students and friends give me.  I don't like collecting most books, so the library suits me just fine.

Janette Oke has been a favorite author of mine since I was in 6th grade.  I read her books as quickly as I learn a new one has been published.  Somehow, I managed to miss a series she is co-authoring with Davis Bunn until December.  The Acts of Faith series takes place right after Jesus' crucifixion in Jerusalem.  Typically I don't enjoy fictional books set during the early Church days, but these intoxicated me from beginning to end.  I love how Biblical characters I know and love have been so well portrayed as they interact with the well developed fictional characters.  I read the first two books in December and was first in line to receive a copy of The Damascus Way when it was released in mid-January. I highly recommend these three books if you want an encouraging, faith-building, adventure filled read.
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...