Friday, January 28, 2011

A Very Large Hole

The current president of World Vision, Richard Stearns, wrote The Hole in our Gospel approximately 2 years ago. Rich writes about his faith journey from being CEO for Lenox China to his position at World Vision.  Based on his own experiences, he then challenges the Church (the Body of Christ as a whole) to fully live out the Gospel Jesus Christ preached.  He points out how our sins of omission are affecting the progress of the world and how easy it really is to stop poverty and other social ills if only we chose to do so. 
I knew the topic of the book when it was published, but was afraid to read it.  I figured I wouldn't learn new ideas, but was scared that seeing truths I know in print would make me more uncomfortable than I cared to be.  Bad move.  Jonah ran from God, but couldn't escape His will.  Neither could I.  I was presented with opportunities to purchase the book, but I didn't.  Over Christmas, my friend Ruth Ann handed me a copy to be my very own.  She had collected several copies at the World Vision conference in November and wanted me to have one.  Hmmm...God sure made that clear.  Anyway, I have about 30 pages left to read.  While I was right that most of the ideas in the book weren't new to me, the reality of the statistics in the book are ridiculous.  How I pray that God shows me how to glorify Him and not be content with the standards of this world!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...