Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bailey and the Birds

For over a year, Bailey has had little interest in our two parakeets, Igor and Nika. He climbs our legs if we go near their cage as he wants to be the center of attention, but he doesn't care for the little noise makers in the corner of the living room. This afternoon, Isaac had Nika in our bedroom to check her nail length. I took her and sat down on the bathroom floor with her perched on my finger. Bailey came over to us and began to give her quick, short kisses, just like he gives his sweet gerbils. I couldn't believe it. He continued to circle around me and give Nika little kisses. At one point, he gave her a little nudge with his nose, and she flew across the room. Bailey liked that! I retrieved Nika, and Bailey gave her another little kiss and nudge. Off she flew again. He'd run to her, and then look at me until I came to pick her up again. Bailey had invented a game and someone to play with. My puppy who has never played with another animal had made a game with his detested parakeet! Isaac brought in Igor to see if Bailey would play with him too, but for now, Bailey's new playmate is Nika alone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...