Friday, July 31, 2009

Three Week Unplug Challenge

In three weeks, the kiddos come back to school. I'm dreading the answer to the 'what did you do this summer?' question. It's always the same: Watched TV and played video games. Less face reality: there is very, very little on TV anymore appropriate for anyone under 10. Even the cartoons are shady these days. For my 6th graders, there is some programming ethical enough for them, but not much. Sadly, Disney Channel isn't even safe anymore most of the time. What happened?! Shoot, there are only 3 shows I watch faithfully, and they're honestly down right trash. I really should cut them out of my life. But, that's why I love summer...there are no new episodes, so I get the shows out of my system, so maybe I'll be the one unplugging this fall.

Oh how I wish I could challenge the parents of my students, and any parents, to engage with their children the next three weeks. I'd love to suggest to them to unplug that bloody TV and video game system. When the kiddos ask to watch or play, go on a walk instead. Teach them to love those around you by praying for the neighbors as you pass each house. Introduce yourselves to those that you don't know or haven't seen in ages. Or go swimming. Take a trip to the library, find some story books, cuddle up in those big pillows and read for a while. Find a swing set and see who can go the highest. Have a conversation about their fears and excitements of the new school year. Ride bikes together. Get a bucket of chalk, and, together, turn the driveway into a canvas. Run through the sprinklers (we're all having to use them lately anyway...why not enjoy them?). Blow bubbles. Put on some oldies and have a dance party in the living room. Write letters to family members and then mail them. Look through pictures from when the parents were children. Share how you became a Christian, and tell your kids your favorite Bible verses, and why they're your favorites. Make homemade ice cream (there are lots of recipes that don't call for an ice cream freezer). Play with your pets. Talk about the Bible story from Sunday school, and how it's relevant for a kid that's 4 or 10 or whatever age. Get a couple of coloring books and crayons, and color away! Fly a kite. Cook a meal together. Better yet, cook extras and together take it to someone in need.

Anyway, if I could, that's what I'd tell the parents of my kids. Enjoy the next three weeks with your kiddos. They grow up way to0 fast to sit in front of the TV all the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...